We all know that Vitamin C is great for your immune system and overall health. It’s touted as the supplement that wards off illness and the scent that can awaken your senses. But did you know that Vitamin C has outstanding benefits for your skin too?
The antioxidant properties make Vitamin C for skin health crucial. When added to your daily routine, a Vitamin C serum can help provide a wide range of benefits that keep your skin looking youthful and fresh.
Vitamin C Benefits For The Skin
- Protects Against Free Radicals - If you haven’t heard yet, air pollutants are causing our skin cells damage. Fortunately, the benefits of vitamin C in skin care help to protect against the damage caused by free radicals while neutralizing them to slow down the visible signs of aging. Free radicals are basically unpaired electrons that are chemically unstable and try to find other electrons to help them stabilize. Unfortunately for you, these pesky nanoparticles usually resort to stealing electrons from other cells - like the ones in your skin.
- Brightens Complexion - High-potency vitamin C also helps visibly brighten your skin by diminishing the appearance of dark spots and discoloration. With its powerful antioxidant properties, vitamin C works to even out skin tone and brighten your overall complexion, leaving you with a vibrant glow.
- Reduces Signs of Aging - Finally, the benefits of vitamin C help to reduce the signs of aging by dramatically improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots. Moisturizing with vitamin C aids in replenishing the skin’s natural lipids and restoring the skin’s natural barrier function, which yields softer skin texture and increased moisture retention.
- Improves Texture and Damaged Skin - Studies have shown that a topical Vitamin C serum is an effective ingredient for improving skin texture, reducing the appearance of damaged skin, and aiding in wound healing.
- Protect Against Long-term Sun Damage - Vitamin C is also known for its ability to protect the skin against long-term sun exposure. This is because vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that helps protect the skin from UV light.
- Controls Oil and Acne Breakouts - For those with acne-prone or oily skin, vitamin C can be an effective skincare product to promote healthy skin by controlling oil and reducing breakouts. A study showed that a topical application of vitamin C helped reduce inflammation in acne-prone skin.
- Aids in Collagen Production - Another powerful vitamin C benefit is the aid in collagen production, which is essential for maintaining proper skin health. Collagen is a protein that helps give skin its structure and elasticity. As we age, our collagen production decreases, which can lead to sagging skin.